After many hours trying to come up with a topic for my final, I landed on the topic of Colonization of Mars. This is something that I would love to explore and learn more about. My research on this topic will be help here
Goals for the project by week 14
- I want to create something that is informative and easy to grasp
- I want to create something that initially draws in the audience and then educates a topic in an affective way
- I am going to try to make something impactful
- Something portable
- I want to potentially combine art and science concepts
- I want to have inspiration from other artists that have a strong impact on my idea
Goals for your process
- talk to artists studying the field (or similar) as well as talk to scientists [in my last project I only talked to scientists and I feel like I need to broaden my approach)
- play more in the ideation stage
- write down every idea, even if I think it's dumb
- user test the concept before finalizing my idea
What are your opening questions?
- What is my connection to this material?
- How will we grow food on Mars?
- How will we restore order in such a new place where "laws" aren't in place yet?
- How will sociocultural "norms" be affected?
- Would economics function the same way?
- How will the land be divided up between countries? Who gets to govern what?
- How will Mars evolve to support life?
- What are the ecosystems like there?
- Would there be travel from Earth to Mars?
- Are they trying to solve for overpopulation of Earth?
- What resources does Mars supply (oil, water to support life, etc?)
- How long can humans survive there
What systems does this topic touch?
- Socio-cultural system
- Economic system
What systems does this topic overlap with?
- Environmental (atmospheric system, ecosystems)
Who is working in this field?
- SpaceX -Elon Musk
- Mars One
what are some related projects?
I found this image very interesting:
Artist: Von C. Caberte
Medium: Oil on Canvas Size: 6 feet x 5 feet
Von C. Calberte was born in 1971 in the Philippines. He was raised there and currently lives in the Philippines with his wife and two sons.
Von began drawing as a child. He loved to draw pictures of his friends and classmates. He became known for his charicatures of teachers and principals.
In the early 1990's he recognized the availability of computer graphics software programs to be a powerful creative tool.
Today Von is a Freelance Artist and digital painting is his primary medium of artistic expression. His digitally painted cartoons premiered in the January 8, 2004 issue of The Black Commentator.
Think of at least two analogies for your topic or project:
- Living in a developing world
- Burning Man
- desert, barren land
Mars vs. Greenhouse
Burning Man City versus Mars City
Think of a couple of contexts/ calls your work might fit:
Now accepting proposals for 1-2 artist exhibitions and "takeover" installations for 2018!
Our interest in Art and Science is in promoting a dialogue between artists and scientific concepts, phenomena and technology through practice. It fosters the creation of new expert knowledge in the arts by extending artists’ practice in connection with fundamental research.
- Accepting proposals for 1 to 2 artist "takeover" installations during our 'hibernation' from regular programming in December 2017 and January 2018.
- BrightFarms Systems, which was founded to advise rooftop growers, built a greenhouse atop a school on West 93rd Street in Manhattan and will be lending it out for a two month gallery opportunity.
- We seek project proposals that have the potential to allow the public to learn alongside artists, scientists and technologists doing thought-provoking work.
- We are greatly interested in project proposals that include some aspect of public demonstration and engagement with the public.
- The scientists for this edition work across and are interested in Biological Sciences, Genomics, Regenerative medicine, Internet and Science, Myth and Science, Health and Disease, Infections, Genetic Engineering, Neuroscience, Biotechnology, Perception and alternate or augmented reality and Human/machine, Mars, Terra-forming and Astronomy, interface, robotics; sensorial and extra-sensorial interfaces etc.
- Deadline for application is November 1, 2017
Mars, 2017. created with Nutmeg, Paprika, Cinnamon, Pumpkin Pie Spice, Chili Powder, Curry Power
1st wave colonization of Mars, 2030
Final Colonization blueprint