I have been doing a lot of research on the topic of desalination and am starting to condense to the topics that I might want to focus on. Because we ended class last week before we could finish the lecture, I wanted to clarify some questions in class this week on what we require for emailing to experts as well as designing a "call". I'm hoping with this clarification I can start to put some proposed ideas on paper of possible prototypes for my project.
I think that I am the most interested in focusing on the following:
- What should be done with the excess salt brine after the desalination process (while keeping in mind the environmen tand ecosystems)
Systems that are contained within the topic of Desalination:
- Oceanic System
- Atmospheric System
- Global System
- Many different ecosystems
Systems that overlap with the topic Desalination:
- Economic System - it costs money in creating the energy to desalinate saline water, additionally it cost money to build the infrastructure.
- Socio-cultural - all societies need fresh clean water to function
Systems that exclude the topic of Desalination:
- Religion -- I thought this was removed from the topic at first... however after reading the book Salt - A World History by Mark Kurlansky, I realized how important Salt is in many different cultures.
Citations of resources
- Kurlansky, M. (2003). Salt: a world history. New York: Penguin Books.
- Brigand, R., & Weller, O. (2015). Archaeology of salt: approaching an invisible past. Leiden: Sidestone Press.
- Tularam, G. A., & Ilahee, M. (2007, August). Environmental concerns of desalinating seawater using reverse osmosis. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17671660
- Gies, E. (n.d.). Desalination Breakthrough: Saving the Sea from Salt. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/desalination-breakthrough-saving-the-sea-from-salt/